Saturday 1 September 2012

"Our house, in the middle of our...hills?"

Well August is over and to celebrate that fact last night at 12.30am i bought everyone in the bar a drink. Yes, yes, yes i can hear you all saying "Was it empty?" No it wasn't, there were about 20 customers in, i know I'm tight but i do give drinks away sometimes and the reason i did was because August broke my all time record for a best month of any season over the 6 years. I did cry a little, not because i broke my record but because they all chose expensive drinks LOL
 
Myself and Helen have started making plans for next season already and first thing was to find a new home as i think after 7 years of living in Kalamaki listening to drunks singing at stupid o'clock in the morning, watching couples fight after the bars have closed, quads beeping their horns as though the horn has only just been invented, children crying and shouting outside as they play and just general noise from vehicles, bars and people it was time to move. So i was given a number of a house that was up for rent all year round. 250€ per month, fully furnished, 2 bedrooms, fully fitted kitchen, living room, patio area and garden in quiet surroundings. Sounded perfect. Called the number and its owned by a British couple, bonus! Then i find out its located at Bochali, DOUBLE BONUS! So i met up with the owner and followed him to the house. I was wondering where he was taking me as we took the opposite turning to Bochali but that's because its not the port facing side of Bochali its the inland view and wow what a view and location. It was so quiet, no main road, no cars, nothing, all you could hear were the crickets (not Buddy Hollies backing band, the little green things) Absolute bliss! His family were holidaying there when i visited so didn't take pics of interior and patio area but will when i start to move our stuff in. I had looked at 2 other properties as well but both were unfurnished and were 300€ and 400€ per month so think i got a good deal with this place. Here's some pics from outside.
 
 
Looking down on to our new home which you can see in the centre of the picture, only one other family living near us and they live in a really cool modern mansion.
 


A close up of our new home.


The Garden. It needs some attention but its OK Helen loves to potter about. Me? Good god no, you won't see me doing gardening, i kill mint which everyone keeps on telling me grows like wildfire, not when I'm looking after it it doesn't LOL.


The stunning view from our Garden.


This is the view Helen will get when she's washing the dishes haha.


Well both my bikes are now fully functional and good to go. You never know when one may break down so always handy to have a spare. Id be truly stuffed if i didn't have any transport, how would i get my take away at 5am from town LOL

Talking of food, bikes and town, i had to wait for my mechanic to finish another bike so i went for a coffee and i couldn't believe my eyes. there sat in front of me was Bo' Selectas Ccccrraig David. He was sat having a frappe. Wow, this island is full of superstars if your in the right place at the right time, RE-E-WIND!
 
 
A few people have asked me am i back next year as some of my blog posts have seemed as though i was missing Helen and finding it hard. Of course i find it hard being away from Helen and this season has been so manic and busy i'm struggling with the heat but our aim is for both of us to end up living out here and we know for now it has to be this way. The business has got better and better every season with the first season breaking even which was a miracle to be honest cause in the first season you usually just make enough to cover Rent for business and house, suppliers, tax and living expenses and lose the money you used to set up your business (fixtures/fittings and paperwork) but i made it all back. Very Lucky. We had said in the past we would only close the bar if i was having to pay out of my own pocket to keep it going or if someone made us a good offer to buy the business. I have had 3 offers since 2009 but turned them down. So as it stands i will be back with Oceanic next season that's why we got the new home.
 
 
For those of you that visit the old road you will know of the wonderful family that own the supermarket next to the Cavo Doro. Well when i run out of stock i dash across and get it from them and on almost every trip they give me some bananas for free as i like over ripe ones. In fact they've given me so many I'm starting to look like Bingo from the Banana Splits or is that Lee LOL.
 
I knew I'd find a way to use these pics again LOL.
 
Lee?

Bingo?

 
Well from this weekend the resort will just start to slowly empty as schools, colleges and uni's start back up from next week but Ive been told there are alot of people coming to bar this month so we will wait and see, if I'm busy that's great, if I'm not that's also fine i can't complain at all, even if the season died off completely from next week i have covered all my costs already and can relax from now till the end of the season.
 
 
Well folks its time for some all bran with bananas and kiwi for my lunch. High fibre diet now you see ready for winter time so i can pile the pounds on like a hamster about to hibernate LOL
 
So until next week my lovely blog readers, its all downhill from here, YEEEHAAA!