Tuesday 13 August 2013

To much sun is as bad as to much rain, stupid heat!

Hello folks, now don't get me started as its to bloody hot LOL.

So what's been happening, well Helen came over for a week, last minute flight, in fact if it was any last minute she would have been getting on with the pilot. She deserved a break from the UK and work but unfortunately I'm a moody grumpy git at the moment due this stupid heat so its a good job her friend Cassy came with her. Always when the temps get above 34 deg I can't cope, same every season. People say "You must be used to the heat by now", NOPE! You never get used to the heat as your body can only handle certain temps. When your cold its easy to get warm but its more difficult to keep cool when its boiling, also the bar has been manic since beginning of August so rushing around and the heat takes it out of you. I just stay indoors during July and August as I conserve my energy for the bar, always have done, so I wasn't good company for Helen I'm afraid to say, so a big apology goes out to Helen for me being such an ass, Roll on Sept when its cooler and I'll be happier.

Our house is starting to look like a jungle outside again but there is no way I'm doing gardening in this heat, in fact there is no way I'm doing gardening full stop, hate gardening, always have done. I say patio slab everything and have just cactus, simple and easy, bloody flowers and grapes, whats the point? LOL

On the way home every night I've seen this little café bar called "Zantino" its on the hill leading up to our house in Bochali. It doesn't open during the day as its a late night place staying open till 7am serving pizza and pasta dishes. I was told by a zakynthian friend that at one time it was the most famous place on the island, how long ago that was I don't know. So one night as myself and Helen were riding home I decided to stop off for a quick drink, a nightcap shall we say LOL. What a lovely place. Now I'm not just saying its lovely cause it looks similar to Oceanic, its lovely as they have loads of little quirky items scattered all around the seating areas. Everywhere you looked there was something unusual which was so nice. Chilled out Greek music playing the background and just somewhere that made you feel relaxed, which to be honest in this heat and after a crazy night in bar it was just what I needed also it was nice to have just a quiet drink with Helen as its always just in Oceanic with other customers and friends.

Zantino Café Bar






So where does it say on the outside of my bar "FREE SHOTS" or "FREE BEER"? Well for the first time ever in 7 years at Oceanic a group of 9 people were asking for those things before even 4 of them had stepped inside. As they walked in I asked as I do "How many of you are there?" At this point in time I only had 3 chairs free so had to get emergency chairs out. The reply came from a woman of about 50 "Do we get free shots?" this wasn't said in a joking manner but very rude manner. I answered politely "Sorry folks, nothing for free in this bar". I asked again "Right, how many are you?", a gent replied "Us", i asked again "How many are you as I need to get you seats", same gent said "another 30 coming" of course this was a lie he was just being funny. I counted 9 and got 6 emergency chairs out and made space for them to sit down. Another gent said "Do we get free beer?" I replied again "Nothings for free is this bar I'm afraid". He came back with "What if we all have a drink?" again my answer "Nothing for free in this bar" At this point, the heat was starting to make my calm self start to boil and in my head I was screaming but outside I was as cool as Cool Hand Luke LOL.
I said to the group "Sit yourselves down and I'll be with you in a minute just got one order to finish off". The oldest gent stood at bar and said " 2 beers", I smiled and said " take a seat and I will come and get your order now". He continued to stand and said louder "2 BEERS", no please or thank you which bugs me big time but not only that the way he said it was very rude. I smiled again and said " just one moment and I'll take your order, sit down, its all table service". The group of 9 all used the toilets then got up and left. Not a problem for me, my loss (if it was a loss) is another bars gain.

Well we're past the half way point and this season is looking very good up till today but I still take each day as it comes as I always do. I am really looking forward to getting back to UK though, strange to say I know but got so much to look forward to after a hectic season, Toys R Us (love my job there), going to Bath for new year ( not as in bath with water but Bath the place), learning to drive (Christmas present off Helen) and Depeche Mode in Birmingham in Jan with my world watched actor nephew Leighton Kyle, maybe a medical trial thrown in for good measure. Now in saying all that I think October is going to be very very quiet, most of the eastern European tour companies finish the end of Sept and 4 UK airports with certain tour companies are not flying out to the island for the whole of Oct so tourism is going to be way down but for me Oct is a bonus, even if I get 30€ its mine in my pocket, after tax of course.

My blog readers have to be the kindest and best customers any bar can get. I have had an overload of crumpets, black and white pudding and even a haggis, really looking forward to trying that. I've had so much brought out that my freezer is packed just with the food parcels I've been given, so thank you so so much for all the food parcels I am so grateful and your all very generous. I never knew there was so many different kinds of Crumpet, flat ones, normal ones, square toasting ones and even soldier ones for dipping in your boiled egg, mmmmmmm soft runny yolk.



Those pics remind me of Nothing To Declare on TV, looks like a customs seizure photos LOL.

Another Kevlar crumpet creation, Hot crumpet with salted lurpak, topped with grilled black pudding and cold beans, yess, cold beans. Lovely.



Well my lovely lovely blog followers its time to open the bar, yes I'm in bar writing this as connection is so crap at house, stupid dongle connection. Will try to get out and about for some pics for nest update but I'm not promising anything as its way to hot.

Serve All, Love All, Peace All, Kevlar out!

4 comments:

  1. Pat and Peter Luffrum14 August 2013 at 13:37

    Fab blog Kev wishing you and Helen all the very best, looking foreward to seeing you next July..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brill as always Kev, l'm quite sure we always used our manners !! My dad is now a convert to the whiskey in a jar cocktail and kept going on about you all the way home !!!! Hope the rest of the season treats you well and you don't get any more arseholes in !!!!!
    Take care till next time.
    The Moons (Dave, Louise, Cara and Grace!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope the heat holds out for our turn in 3 weeks...can't wait!! looking forward to lots of your lovely cocktails.....Marie, John & Lydia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevlar!! There is clearly a lot of 'crumpet' talk you are keeping to yourself... If i covered my crumpet in cold baked beans.... I'd be dead. (Even if they were Heinz) ..lol

    ReplyDelete