Tuesday 1 November 2011

11 days home and 10 days of rain, BRILLIANT!

Well its been a typical home coming in sunny South West Wales, Rain with a peek of sunshine every 5 mins per hour, don't you just love the UK.



I'm settled in our new home and it just gets better every day i'm here apart from the lack of warm sunshine and a pool but we're about to join the gym so that will fill in my spare time. Toys R Us are holding back on starting the night shift as business over this year is 30% down but they have said i can work evenings, any hours i want if i wish which was very generous of them. I will give it a week and then decide what to do as i may take myself off for a few days from tomorrow, now where shall i go? I need a few answers on a couple of questions:-
Which country did Maradona play for?
Madonna had a hit with "Don't cry for me .........?
Which countries national dish is Empanadas?



I've been out and about looking around the new area where i live. So this is how my location has changed. I started off in a capital city Cardiff, in between i live in a Resort Kalamaki, then moved to another city Swansea, after a city i moved to a town Carmarthen, now our new home is in a Village. So its City, Resort, City, Town, Village. So going by those moves my next destination is a Field LOL.



So i left our home and went for a wander. To get to the centre of the village i have to cross a major A-road via a subway beneath a roundabout. On entering this subway i was hit with some amazing mosaic pictures. Now the picture you can see below is a greek mosaic picturing a hunter which is hundreds if not thousands of years old, look at the fine detail made by the tiny tiles used in this mosaic.
Now here is the mosaic pictures i found in the underpass where i live which must be at least tens of years old. I will go through the fine artwork picture by picture.



Here we have the age old sport of "Rugby", this is a game played by 2 teams with an odd shaped ball. As you can see from the picture it shows the ancient tribes of Wales and Scotland in battle. In the year this mosaic was made the people of this time had the same hairstyles and same size heads, 2 blocks by 4 blocks. Also they were giants, as you can see they are the same size as what is known in the sport as "posts".

Here we have a picture of the work that every Welsh person did many many years ago, Miners. Men, women, cats and dogs were all sent to the pits to work but you could only work down the pit if your head was 1 block by 3 blocks and 2 blocks deep so the rugby tribes were not allowed down the pits due to head size.

And here the picture depicts one of the first every prams to be used in Wales. The poor baby, not going to get much sleep while being pushed around with square wheels.

I must say i found those mosaics quite nice and warming as there was no grafitti over them and it sort of gave me a child like feeling of years gone by and they looked like figures that i would make as a child with my stickle bricks.



I ventured further in to the centre and came across the local cinema. Again this took me right back in time to when my father used to take me to "The Plaza" cinema in Cardiff not far from the family home where i saw such films as "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "Robin Hood", "Sword in the Stone" and "The land that time forgot". The Plaza has been knocked down now with flats now standing where the cinema once stood. So to come across an old time cinema still open was so cool. Unfortunately its only open on Mon, Tues and Fri so i'll have to wait to see the inside and take some pics.

Now i know the cinema itself is still set in the 40's-50's and a bit behind the times but it also seems the films are little behind the time getting here as you can see from this picture for the Hugh Jackman film "Real Steel". Only 42 days late for release LOL.



We have 3 places to go for the odd sherbet. One is a bar/restaurant called "The Pheonix", wonder if the landlord is called Potter, it does have a quiz night on a Wed haha.

The other is a working mens club that i popped my head in to today but i stood out like a sore thumb as 1/ I had my own teeth, 2/ Neither of my ears has a wrap around hearing aid and 3/ I could walk in alone without the aid of a walking stick or mobility scooter.

And the final public house i didn't even bother stepping foot inside as the pub sign is of a persons hands in handcuffs. I'm sure its a great little establishment but will try it on Mothers Day around 1pm, should be safe then LOL.


But in saying all that it is a lovely area where we now live and it will take me time to get used to it as i am a city dweller after all and not having everything on your doorstep is a big change for me but i do have my new motorbike all road ready but due to the rubbish weather since i been home i've only got out on it the one good day we've had and that was to get it serviced and M.O.T.'d.




So thats your lot for today but i will update it in 7 days time with what i did for the next 6 days.




Peukallal Folks!










No comments:

Post a Comment